Recognizing key indicators of human trafficking is the first step in identifying victims of human trafficking and can help save a life.
Because of the under ground nature of this crime, Human trafficking sometimes goes unnoticed and it can be happening right in your own neighborhood. We must open not only our eyes but our minds to what could possibly be going on around us. Now that you are aware of some keys signs to notice a victim , You can call the human trafficking hotline if you suspect human trafficking.
Grooming is a stage in the recruitment process. A Pimp / Trafficker can be a man or a woman. Young or old. Most pimps use manipulation to lure in potential victims. They may even use another person to do this manipulation before you're even introduced to the pimp/ trafficker. The pimp will appear as a friend or boyfriend /girlfriend. They might be the only person who really listens to you and that's only because they are listening to know your vulnerabilities.
The pimp will find out your dreams and ambitions or their frustrations and pains. Then they will offer a way out of the pain in your life, or a way to reach your dreams.
The Pimp/ Trafficker will use many tactics to lure his victims.
Here are some warning signs to watch out for:
- Taking you shopping / Giving you gifts
- Wine and dining you
- Providing you with things you want
- taking you on trips
- photoshoot for "modeling"
- giving you small amounts drungs to eventually get you hooked
- suggest a way to make fast money
- use other girls to invite you out to hang or clubbing
- Ask you to invite your friends to come hang out with you and him.
And for some teen boys, some traffickers use video games to lure them in. So please be aware if you are asked to send a photo of yourself online.
- Becoming secretive about who they are talking to or meeting up with
- Sexual knowledge beyond what is age appropriate
- Dramatic change in personality
- Wearing a specific color / doodling gang symbols
- Disoriented or confused
- Large amounts of cash
- New, expensive things ( clothes, shoes, purses, nails)
- Hotel Keys Cards
- Sex toys, Provocative clothing
- Multiple phones, Laptops
- Sudden presence of an older boyfriend/ girlfriend
- Isolated from Family and friends
- Sexually acting out
- Truant from school , running away from home, involved in a gang
- Urinary difficulties
- Pelvic pain
- Rectal Trauma
- Chronic cardio or respiratory problems
- Drug addiction
- Sleep deprivation
- Serious dental issues
Human Trafficking Victims and survivors of trafficking come from all walks of life. People harmed by human traffickers are diverse. Anyone can be trafficked.
Traffickers use online apps, dating site, online games and all social media platforms like snap chat and instagram and more to recruit their victims. Here are a few tips for online safety:
- Share appropriate photos
- Avoid in-person meetings
- Think about what you share. Traffickers prey on your vulnerabilities
- Don't allow people to talk you in to doing something you wouldnt normally do
- Don't let someone talk you into sending nude photos of yourself